A Rescuer's poem

I am an Animal Rescuer
My job is to assist God's creatures
I was born with the drive to fulfill their needs
I take in helpless, unwanted, homeless creatures without planning or selection
I have bought cat food with my last dime
I have patted a matted and dirty cat with my bare hand
I have hugged someone feral and afraid
I have fallen in love a thousand times
And I have cried into the fur of a lifeless body too many times to count
I have animal friends and friends who have animal friends
I don't often use the word "pet"
I notice those lost at the road side
And my heart aches
I will hand raise a field mouse
And make friends with a vulture
I know of no creature unworthy of my time
I want to live forever if there aren't any animals in Heaven
But I believe there are
Why would God make something so perfect and leave it behind
Some may think we are master of the animals
But the animals have mastered themselves
Something people still haven't learned
War and abuse make me hurt for the world
But a rescue that makes the news gives me hope for mankind
We are a quiet but determined army
And we are making a difference every day
There is nothing more necessary than warming an orphan
Nothing more rewarding than saving a life
No higher recognition than watching them thrive
There is no greater joy than seeing a baby play
who only days ago, was too weak to eat
By the love of those who I've been privileged to rescue
I have been rescued
I know what true unconditional love really is
for I've seen it shining in the eyes of so many
Grateful for so little
I am an Animal Rescuer
My work is never done
My home is never quiet
My wallet is always empty
But my heart is always full
------Author Unknown

some of my zoobabies

some of my zoobabies

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Dirt begone!

When you have a not so feline zoo how do you keep it clean? What kind of products do you use? Do you buy biodegradable, organic or just the regular cleaning stuff. When you have little paws who live, eat, walk, sleep close to the ground like they do, you need to make sure it is safe. I try to buy petsafe products but I also need to use stuff that best economizes my time and budget. I buy what's on sale and buy it in bulk so it lasts awhile. Rather than use a mop, I use the swiffer wetjet. They say it is safe as it dries very quickly. I just find it too useful to ignore. I realize I am adding more garbage since they are disposable pads but they do their job. I don't have to worry about running out of washable pads like I do with my steamer or using dirty water like with a mop and pail. I don't have the luxury of a laundry sink so I would have to dump my dirty water down the bathtub and then have to washout the bathtub each time. So what is worse, wasting water or having more garbage? I recycle just about everything, compost just about everything and use natural pine litter which is biodegradable. It flushes but given that I have had plumbing problems in the past due to roots in my pipes from the neighbouring trees, I could no longer afford our toilet clogging up. So I take out my litter with the compost and no more worries.
I have started using natural and biodegradeable washing detergent and use products like Method for my cleaning supplies. But one day I will have to get rid of my wall to wall carpet in my room. All the other rooms in my home are vinyl tile or ceramic tile. Having so many cats in my home, given it is a rescue and sanctuary has it's challenges. There is always hairballs, some cats not using the litterbox for their poos and pees and dry food that scatters on the floor. Keeping the litterboxes clean is also a challenge since I am not the only one doing them. There is an art to doing the litterboxes and no-one is ever going to do them the same way. But I like to remove every little lump and clump so that it looks like a fresh new box.

But the best cleaner by far is a mixture of white vinegar, water and baking soda and by far the cheapest. It's all purpose and can be used on floors, counters, appliances, wherever your four legged friends like to walk or jump on.

anyway, today is laundry and cleaning day so I need to get cracking.

Meow for now....

No comments: